How to Memorize Quickly – In everyday life, we often need good reading and memorizing skills, whether it’s for school exams, presentation materials on campus, proposals when starting a business, and so on.
The key is to memorize yourself by repeating the reading process continuously, but this is quite time-consuming and sometimes we don’t have enough time to do it. The following are 13 Secrets of How to Memorize Quickly in the Edutore style.
1. HANDWRITING METHOD
The first way to memorize quickly is the handwriting method. Educational psychologist from the University of Nebraska, Kenneth Kiewra, said that writing activities make brain functions related to the ability to remember and understand a lesson sharper.
This was also revealed by researchers from Washington University. They said students who took notes using the handwriting method were able to remember lessons longer than those who didn’t. Because, writing makes the brain well organized. It is also easier for the brain to record things. Learn how to write effectively with Let’s Write Tips!
2. MIND MAP METHOD
mind mapping is a visually organized mind mapping of ideas and concepts. This technique was originally introduced by Tony Buzan, a psychologist from England. By Memorizing Quickly in the mind map style, it is guaranteed to be more effective for understanding and memorizing subject matter.
Mind map is considered as a system that uses the principles of brain management to unlock all the hidden potentials and capacities of the brain. Learn this method through the Step-by-Step Mind Map book.
Because we learn to use the right brain which involves imagination, visualization, creativity, and is in direct contact with the subconscious so it’s easier to remember. In addition, with this learning technique, our minds will focus on the main topic and then associate it with certain keywords from a lesson.
3. METHOD OF THE Donkey Bridge
This method may have been applied by many students when they have to memorize a foreign term that is difficult to remember. The donkey bridge is known to be effective in helping the brain remember in a more fun way. According to the Adolescent Literacy Organization, along with its development, the donkey bridge also makes use of pictures and other objects such as hands, hereinafter known as visual mnemonics.
One example of applying this method is taking the first letter of each word in the phrase you want to memorize. Then form the first set of letters into a new word or sentence.
An example is the sequence of rainbow colors, namely “mejikuhibiu” which stands for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. In addition, the application of this technique can also be seen when we try to memorize the periodic table.
4. MAKE IMPORTANT POINTS
The easiest way to memorize quickly is to record key words or points from reading or presentations that are important. You can record it on a piece of paper or in the notes application on a smartphone, tablet, and so on.
But like the number one method, researchers from Washington University, USA, revealed that people who take notes by hand have better memories. So, if you take notes on a piece of paper or a notebook, write with colored markers and distinguish colors for each key word or important points to make it easier to memorize and store in brain memory.
With the help of colored markers and colored pencils, you can make your notes more interesting and colorful. That way, reading notes will not feel boring. Don’t forget to include pictures that match the material.
5. MAKE A SONG
Memorizing lessons takes days. Meanwhile, memorizing the lyrics of the latest songs doesn’t even last a day. Have you ever experienced something similar to you? It turns out that our brains are easier to memorize music. Let’s try to make a song from your subject matter.
You can change the lyrics of your favorite songs to the names of countries in the world and their capitals. Or you can make up your own tunes. This method is suitable for you who really like music. You can also sing it with your friends when you’re messing around casually. Of course, using songs as a way to memorize quickly will make it easier for you in.
How people learn is different. For those of you with the Auditory learning type, you will definitely understand more when you hear other people’s explanations. Well, you can record your teacher’s voice when he is explaining. Then you can listen to the recording over and over again.
Another way is to record your own voice. You can use language that is easy for you to understand when recording material. Besides making it easier for you to learn, you can practice your speaking skills as well. Great right? This is a great way to memorize quickly.
The 7th way to memorize quickly is visualization. In fact, our brains are faster at remembering or memorizing something that is visual. Well, you can apply this method of memorizing quickly. For example, you want to memorize car series from an automotive brand.
Draw the cars (or you can search on the internet, then print). Do this method as often as possible and paste it in a place you can always see, your subconscious will certainly make it easier for you to memorize it.
Read Also : What is Spring Equinox?
8. CREATE A STORY
To help the brain absorb large pieces of information, another trick you can try to break down the information is to create a story that connects each piece of information.
For example, if we need to memorize complex chemical formulas, we can rename a molecule with a human name starting with the same letter (Carol = Chlorine, for example) and create a mini story where the formula becomes a character molecule in the formula that has the same characteristics as humans.
This can be a very effective method for learning complex information. For example, Glucose is sweet, cheerful and can be a good friend to all living things.
9. GROUP LEARNING
Studying with friends can actually make you better understand and remember the lessons that have been taught in class. A pleasant atmosphere with friends is the reason why this method of memorizing quickly is considered effective. Because, with friends, you will also find learning methods that are suitable and fun. Also, if you don’t understand, ask a friend who knows the lesson to explain it to you. Explained by friends of the same age are usually easier to understand because their thoughts tend to be the same. Here are some tips for effective group study:
- For group study, of course you need a friend who is your study group. In fact, anyone of your friends can be invited to join together. But being selective in choosing study friends is also necessary, make sure they really want, are sincere, and sincerely learn and share knowledge with you. The maximum number of group members is 5 people. With not too many group members it is hoped that you can focus more on the discussion.
- Determine the study material long before the group study is carried out. Determining learning material before group study is very important so that all members can prepare themselves for the material to be discussed.
- Determine the right length of study so that the learning process does not feel boring. Not too fast and not too long either. Studying too long will certainly make you feel bored. One to two hours is sufficient for group study. An effective study time is during the day or evening after resting at home. Try to ensure that each member arrives on time at the previously agreed place.
- Really Study, When learning starts make sure you really focus on the main goal, which is learning. Eliminate in advance the things that disrupt the learning process so that the learning process is no longer effective.
- Choose a place to study that is comfortable and quiet, away from television or crowds. A quiet and comfortable place for group study is very helpful in increasing concentration in the learning and discussion process.
- Each other should bring a different snack. Later during the rest season you and your friends can exchange snacks, this will make the atmosphere warmer and more enjoyable.
- No Need To Be Tense, You Can Study With Serious But Relaxed Conditions. Learning does not need to be too tense so as not to feel bored. But also not made to play. Keep creating serious learning conditions, but stay relaxed and don’t make you feel bored.
- Understand Each Other’s Responsibilities. Study groups will be useless if the members are selfish and choose to let go of responsibility. That is why it is very important to be selective in choosing study partners who really want to learn and understand each other’s responsibilities in a group.
- Sharing Knowledge and Exchanging Thoughts Don’t be stingy to share knowledge and help your friends who are difficult to understand the tasks that have been given. Besides that, try to exchange opinions about the subject matter that will be studied the next day. Usually each member has a different understanding in capturing a material.
10. Q&A QUIZ
You can ask your mother, father, brother or sister to make questions from the content of the lesson that you have recorded in the book. This method does look like the activity of answering practice questions, but packaged in a more interesting way. In this way, you can easily remember the answers to the questions asked by the people around you. Who knows the questions they ask are the same as those that came out on the test paper.
11. SET STUDY DESK
Find a comfortable place for you to read back what you have learned in class. You can choose to read by a quiet pool with the sound of gurgling water or in a quiet coffee shop. A comfortable and pleasant atmosphere makes your brain relax and it will easily digest the things you read.
Besides that, if you choose to study in a coffee shop, the distinctive and delicious aroma will make your mind calmer, or just study in your room, but tidy up your room and study table beforehand. accompanied by playing favorite music, and preparing favorite snacks. These things can help you relax and study without a burden.
12. WATCH FOOD INTAKE
The food we eat also greatly affects the performance of the brain, that’s why many say that if we consume too much food containing MSG, we can have difficulty concentrating. Fruits and vegetables should be a mandatory menu for you every day, considering that they are the best sources of nutrients and vitamins that are useful for maximizing all the functions of the body’s organs, including the brain. Consume:
- Blueberries: Contains antioxidants that can function in fighting free radicals and preventing brain damage. This fruit can also function in improving brain memory, as well as stopping the slowing down of motor function, balance and coordination. In fact, recent studies have found that blueberries, strawberries, and acai fruit can help prevent and slow cognitive decline due to age.
- Peanuts and peanut butter, Although both are high in fat, peanuts and peanut butter are included in food sources that contain healthy fats, especially in which there is vitamin E which can prevent memory loss. Both of these foods can help keep the heart and brain healthy and functioning optimally. Don’t forget to choose peanut butter without sugar, OK?
- Salmon, mackerel, tuna, and other fish are rich in memory-sharpening omega-3 fatty acids, as well as docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which is essential for the normal function of neurons.
- Avocado One fruit that contains healthy fats is avocado. In addition, avocados can also help blood flow run smoothly to the brain, reduce high blood pressure and help the heart stay healthy. A study has also found that foods rich in vitamin E, including avocados, can reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s.
- Dark green leafy vegetables, spinach and broccoli are good sources of vitamin E and folic acid to be consumed in improving brain memory.
- Apples, Oftentimes, when you eat an apple, you will first peel off the skin and then eat the flesh. In fact, apple skin is rich in quercetin and antioxidants which can play a role in reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s. What’s more, the red apples that you often consume also contain anthocyanins, another type of antioxidant that can improve brain memory.
13. ENOUGH SLEEP
Finally, don’t forget to get enough rest. The brain also needs rest so that its function remains optimal. Make sure you don’t sleep too late and don’t wake up too late. Adequate rest is effective in maintaining brain health.
The right bedtime will help us have good performance, maintain mental agility, as well as ward off stress and fatigue. Then, how many hours of sleep is ideal for you? The amount of sleep that is healthy for each person turns out to vary depending on age:
- Adults (18-64 years): 7-9 hours
- Youth (14-17 years): 8-10 hours
- School children (6-13 years): 9-11 hours